Friday, June 22, 2012

Journal fragment: Lost Highway


Would you believe me if I told you something strange happened tonight?
The desert was darker than normal, the veil was thin. The horizon was lit with fire, getting brighter and louder the whole trip. I pushed on so it wouldn't blind me with its flashes.
Ghost lights followed me closely. Closer than normal. Objects in the the rear view mirror may be closer than they fucking appear.
Cars pass, leering faces look back at me from behind tinted windows. I push on.
I hear a hiss over my right shoulder, but know I can't look back without regretting it. You never can be too careful.
Above all else, she's close tonight. The shadow behind the clouds. Almost heavy in the air. I feel things flickering at the corners of my vision and I know she's there. I glance back at the sky and think I almost managed to catch a glimpse. Outlined by the moon.
I made it out this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment